Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Living in a Dormitory



For almost seventeen years of my life, I am dependent on my family. Elementary and secondary school had never been tough for me, until I got to college. Because I want to be one of the best engineers in the country, for the first time, I am studying and living away from my family. Upon entering my new school, I needed to find a place to stay for the whole year. I had three choices– either to live in a boarding house, an apartment or in a dormitory. But because renting a boarding house or apartment was too expensive, I chose to live in a dorm - three times cheaper than the two. Dormitories are built inside the campus, a location perfect for studying. The cost of living is much lower than living outside. It is also safer to live in a dormitory than to live off the school, although incidents of crime do still occur inside the campus. In a dormitory, there are R.A’s, maintenance/staff and security guards who maintain the safety of everyone. Living in a dorm means having to live with a roommate, but for me, that’s better and safer than living alone.
When I started living in a dorm, my father and my sisters had less of a say of my everyday life’s dos or don’ts, which I find to be great. I call it freedom.  I can do what I wanted to do and I can go where ever I wanted to go. But beyond this, studying and living far away from my family taught me how to live independently. I learned to prepare my own food, to wash my own dishes, fix my own things and to take care of myself alone. But at times, I feel sad and alone. I also feel home sick at night as I sleep, but this feeling led me to become braver and matured. After a few months living here, I have adjusted. Now, I can already stand on my own.
Living in a dormitory also helped me to perform better in academics. That’s because I am closer to the things I need, like the library and friends whom I can ask for help regarding my lessons. Before my exams, I study with a group of friends or dorm mates. It is easier to study if you have companions. We always have something to eat and we stay up late reviewing and teaching each other almost every night. I learned to share my experiences and socialize with different kinds of people. I improved my studies and at the same time had more friends when I lived in the dormitory.
Going to college and living in a dormitory is a learning experience that is worth having. It’s probably the only time in my whole life that I would live in a community of people with different cultures, beliefs and traditions. In just four months of stay, I learned to become mature and independent.  I learned to socialize, to decide on my own and have self-discipline. I will never learn all these things if did not live on my own in a dormitory. Overall, this is the most unique and one of the best experiences that I had in my life.
By: Mark Lesther M. Jacinto
(Causal Analysis)
Sources(Photos):
downloaddailymotion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment