Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Stressful Semester



A while ago, when I was scanning my Facebook account, a picture shared by my friend suddenly caught my attention. It was a photo in 9gag with a quote saying “I'm at that point in a semester where if a car hit me, I'd probably say thank you to the kind stranger.” I immediately clicked the share button after seeing this. Why? Because it was a perfect quote to summarize my academic state right now.

When I was in my first year here in UP, I am not experiencing this kind of stress I am feeling nowadays. Almost every after exam, all I can say is I've never been so stupid like this before. It's actually my first time to encounter such hardships because before, I used to take it easy. I am not saying that I've had an easy life all throughout. I also faced lot of struggles during my high school years, from many assignments, quizzes, projects, and exams, to sleepless nights just to study for the upcoming tests and for finishing the manuscript before the defense. I thought all of these things I already encountered made me strong enough to overcome future problems, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe I still need a little more push.

While realizing all of these, the main questions that came up in my mind is why am I experiencing this kind of difficulty when in fact, I already overcame struggles before which were similar with what I am facing now, and why does it seems that I am having low grades despite the diligence I am putting on every work I do. At first, I really don't know the answer, but now I am thinking of many possibilities why would it happen.

The first reason I thought of is the sudden decline of my memory's ability to study. I noticed that the lessons I used to study before in two hours need to be studied now for four hours. This is because of the damages my brain cells had due to the continuous lack of sleep. As much as I want to sleep early and with right amount of hours, I can't because my current situation requires me to be up all night to do the all things I have to do.

The second thing which can be a reason why this is happening is due to improper time management. As a student with a lot of activities to attend to, I am always doing a schedule, a list of the things I need to do, the amount of time for every activity, and the actual time I will be doing a particular thing. With all of these schedule thing, I am still guilty of not following it, because sometimes, it is really hard to stick to the plan since there are a lot of other factors which can affect the time you are allocating for something like your mood and emotion, unexpected additional activity and exams, and sudden sickness.

The third reason is procrastination. Actually, I used to believe that I am not procrastinating, I am just prioritizing the things that needed to be passed first than the others which can be done on some other day. As for me, this prioritizing technique just results to cramming of the things with later deadlines. Cramming of the things you need to do, I believe, will lead to stress and even wearisome. Therefore, to avoid stress and too much difficulties, we must stop procrastination!
o-SAD-STUDENT-facebook



With the stated reasons above, I can't help but wonder what could be the possible effects of the unwanted stress I am experiencing. The obvious one is low grades. If you will let the stress be over you, the one that controls you, then you will surely have undesirable grades. Another one is bad health effects. It can distort your ways and habits like what I am experiencing right now. Since I have many things to do, I am usually not eating in the right time and sometimes, I don't have time to eat anymore. I remember my Eng 10 prof who calls me 'the girl who doesn't eat' and always asking me if I have already had lunch. He used to do that because I am so thin. Another effect is less time for leisure since a person who is stressed would more or less choose to sleep rather than do anything fun. A stressed person is more likely to miss the worthwhile and enjoyable things life has to offer.

Before I go to college, one of my friends told me not to let studies hinder my education. At first, I didn't fully get what she's trying to say, but now, I understand what she meant with that. I should stop doing the probable causes of stress to avoid the undesirable consequences which may arise if I continue pressuring myself.

Cyrishlyn Aira E. Malubay
(Causal Analysis)

Source (photo):
http://www.thoughtpursuits.com/war-kids-schooling-education/#

No comments:

Post a Comment