Wednesday, October 15, 2014

IKOT


http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/104/9/3/day79_isko_po_ikot_jeep_by_tusoksiomai91-d3dyo9l.jpg
            There are numerous modes of transportation in the Philippines.  But hands down, no doubt the jeepney is the most popular of them all.  They can be found on all sides of the Philippines.  Whether it be on  the metro or some far flung province in the middle of nowhere.  The jeepney has been so deeply ingrained in this country’s culture that it would be next to impossible to imagine a Philippines without the jeepney.   Around 15-18 people can ride on a jeep, but depending on the driver some jeepneys can fit up to 20 people.  Do not be fascinated by how a 15-18 seater vehicle can magically seat 20 people.  Imagine a can of sardines, and think of them as people instead.  That is how a jeepney with 20 people look like.  
           They say that the University of the Philippines is a microexample of the Philippines.  This belief seems to be consistent even with the modes of transportation.  The university is so big that there are even jeepneys going around the campus shuttling the students from one building to another.  The jeepneys are extremely helpful, especially if the classes you have are located at buildings on the opposite ends of each other.  For 7.50 pesos you can ride an jeep which basically circles the university.         
          I remember when I first rode the jeepney in the university.  I was so clueless about the buildings that I ended up missing my stop and circling the university again. I was supposed to go down at the econ building at that time.  I even brought a map of the university to make sure that I would not get lost.  But it seems I underestimated my poor sense of direction.  I only realized I was lost when we passed by the stop when I first rode the jeep.  So I decided to just transfer my seat and go near the driver and tell him that I had to get off at that specific building.    Luckily the driver did not ask me to pay my fare again and even took his time point out some of the buildings to me.  It seems that it is normal for freshman students to get lost.  It wasn’t that bad since I had time to spare and it served as a sort of tour of the university.  At that time I was embarrassed because I did not want other people to know how clueless I was.  It was a good thing that I had a 30-minute break then. That incident made me realize how important it is to ask someone when you are unsure of something.  There is nothing wrong with asking someone.  At least next time you would not have to ask them again, and it certainly beats getting lost.



by Nicola Fionna F. Delos Santos
(Definition)


Source (Photos):
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/104/9/3/day79_isko_po_ikot_jeep_by_tusoksiomai91-d3dyo9l.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment